Back pain is one of the most common ailments people deal with. It can result from an accident, illness, or a sedentary lifestyle. Sometimes it progresses to the point that it interferes with a person’s ability to live normally. If you’re dealing with unrelenting back discomfort, you can find relief by seeing a chiropractor for back pain. Our chiropractor in Mill Creek advises patients seeking relief from back conditions.
How Can a Chiropractor Help With Back Pain?
Your doctor may recommend seeing a chiropractor if you are dealing with discomfort from a sports injury, accident, or another incident resulting in acute low back pain. In addition to back pain, a chiropractor can help you deal with tension headaches, migraines, or neck pain.
Causes of Back Pain
Sometimes, back pain develops without warning. It’s a good idea to visit a doctor to identify the root cause of your back issue before seeking chiropractic care. Common medical problems that result in back pain include:
- Ligament or muscle strain — Constant heavy lifting or a sudden awkward movement can strain back muscles or a ligament. Muscle strain can also lead to painful muscle spasms.
- Bulging disk — Disks in your back cushion your spine’s vertebrae, or bones. If the soft material inside one of those disks starts to bulge or tear, it can begin to press on the nerves, resulting in extreme discomfort.
- Arthritis — Individuals diagnosed with osteoarthritis may feel the effects in their lower back. Some people develop spinal stenosis, a condition in which the space around the spinal cord starts to narrow.
Certain risk factors can lead to the development of back pain, including:
- Excess weight
- Not exercising enough
- Using back muscles instead of legs when lifting
What Chiropractic Treatments Are Available for Back Pain?
Many people choose to see a chiropractor for back pain instead of relying on medication. Chiropractic care aims to help people regain joint and muscle mobility. Below are some of the treatment options provided by chiropractors.
- Adjustments — Chiropractors use their hands or other instruments to apply pressure to your back and manipulate the spine. That results in the release of trapped gasses when the chiropractor realigns the joints in your back.
- Heat and cold treatment — Your chiropractor alternates between applying heat and cold to your back to increase blood flow and relieve tension.
- Ultrasound — Your chiropractor uses a special machine to send sound waves through your back, resulting in heat moving through your joints, muscles, and other soft tissues. Many patients experience a sense of relief after undergoing the procedure.
- Exercise — Your chiropractor takes you through a series of exercises to build strength in your back.
Mill Creek Wellness Center staff always goes over any treatment options with patients. We want to ensure that patients receive the education necessary to help them decide which course of back pain treatment to pursue
Benefits of Chiropractic Care for Back Pain
Spinal adjustments are one of the most common treatments for back pain by a chiropractor. Regular spine manipulations can decrease or even eliminate your need to rely on pain medication. Adjustments and other chiropractic treatments can improve your posture, relieving pressure on your spine.
Many patients experience increased flexibility and strength, which makes it easier to go about everyday life without discomfort. The most common side effect from spinal adjustments is some soreness, which typically goes away after 24 hours. Talk with your chiropractor about any concerns you have about chiropractic adjustments or other treatments offered for back pain treatment.
Visit a Licensed Chiropractor for Back Pain
Mill Creek Wellness Center offers various treatments to help patients deal with painful back conditions. Contact us today at 425-742-6034 to schedule an appointment.